As a friend of internets, I just came back from a trip to the Gers to the discovery of the Floc de Gascogneand I can tell you that I’m seriously considering relocating 😉 God, this region is beautiful! The hilly landscapes, covered with vineyards, the magnificent bastides, the incredible churches, the blond stone, the small villages full of charm, without forgetting the gastronomy, the wines, the kindness of the people and the sweetness of life, so many assets!
As our Quebec cousins would say, I fell in love with the region.
It’s just sumptuous. I didn’t know this department very well and I can tell you that I only want to go back there.
I’m getting lost.
Let’s go back to our Floc.
Born from a Gascony recipe dating from the 16th century, le Floc de Gascogne(“Lou Floc”, the bouquet of flowers in occitan) is a liqueur wineThis is the result of a subtle blend of 23 fresh grape juice and 13 Armagnacs. The first brings freshness and vivacity while the second brings heat and reduces sweetness. To be entitled to the Floc de Gascogne appellation, juice and Armagnac must come from the same property. It is really very good. On the alcohol side, it contains between 16 and 18% alcohol.
I was quite surprised when I told my relatives about it to discover that not everyone knew about this liqueur wine. And you, were you familiar with it?
Where is Floc de Gascogne produced?
In Gascony (#Haha), in the South West of France, in the departments of Landes, Le Gers and the Lot et Garonne. Here is a map to see more clearly. The 3 colors (Bas Armagnac, Armagnac Ténarèze and Haut Armagnac) are in fact distinguished by the difference in the composition of their soils.
How many types of Floc-de-Gascogne exist?
2, my captain!
- White Floc de Gascogne It is mainly composed of 3 grape varieties: Colombard (aromatic and fruity finesse with citrus fruit aromas), Ugni-Blanc (fresh and acidic with dried fruit aromas) and Gros Manseng (round and fruity). We can also find others such as Mauzac, Semillon, Petit Manseng, Baroque, Sauvignon Blanc and Folle Blanche.
- Le Floc de Gascogne rosé comes from the traditional grape varieties that are the Cabernet Franc which gives it its raspberry aromas and the Cabernet Sauvignon which transmits its complex aromas of red fruits. The Merlot, round in the mouth, adds to the vigorous Tannat. These 4 main grape varieties can also be combined with Fer Servadou and Cot.
In general, we are either one or the other. Personally I am part of the Floc Blanc team 🙂
How to recognize a good Floc de Gascogne
To the color :
- A Floc de Gascogne white whose color pulls on the orange has been oxidized. This does not correspond to the criteria of excellence of Flock.
- A Floc de Gascogne rosé that pulls on the tile (brick color) is to be avoided as well.
To taste :
- A white Floc de Gascogne must have exotic fruit aromas and a lot of freshness. One must have the crunchy and fruity side of grape juice, the aromas of fruit juice with the warmth and vivacity of Armagnac.
- A Floc de Gascogne rosé must have red fruit flavors: cherry, morello cherries etc. The fruity side must be present and the acidity of the grape juice must be important to bring freshness.
At what temperature should Floc-de-Gascogne be served?
The ideal temperature is between 5 and 7 °C. It should therefore be kept in the refrigerator. Do not put ice cubes in it, it will spoil it. Or, to lower the temperature, put in these new ice cubes that don’t melt.
How to consume it?
With moderation as an aperitif, to be integrated into cocktails (recipes to come) but also in food and wine pairings: a Floc Blanc will go very well with foie gras when a Floc rouge will sublimate a chocolate fondant.
Good addresses :
Passionate and exciting people (if you click you’ll go directly to their websites).
Unusual information :
There is a women’s brotherhood, theAcademy of the Ladies of Floc de Gascognecreated in January 1980 in Cravencères, in the Gers. Although it is run by a women’s college, to date it has more knights than women inductees.
Their motto? “The capes, the bottles, and forward!
Their objective? To make known, promote and magnify Floc de Gascogne on all occasions: gastronomic, cultural or sporting events, professional meetings, fairs, shows, events… A great program.
The Ladies of Floc de Gascogne wear, pinned to their cape, the bouquet of the three perfumes of Armagnac, plum, rose and violet.
Thanks to Cyrielle Marin and Marie Pascale Marou for all this fascinating information about Floc de Gascogne and for these beautiful encounters.
Academy of the Ladies of Floc de Gascogne – House of Floc de Gascogne
Rue des Vignerons – BP 49 – 32800 EAUZE – Tél : 05.62.09.85.41